Wednesday, October 13, 2010

5 Song Shuffle Vol. 12


My iTunes library, as of October 13, 2010, has 20,784 songs in it. Some are novelty downloads, some i have because i'm a completionist, some i rarely (if have ever) listened to. So, in this new blog segment, i will let shuffle pick out random songs (without personal editing to hide embarrasing and/or lame songs), and i will write about what i think of them, plus any details i an give about how it was procured. At current rate (and if my iTunes never repeats a song...) this will be the twelfth in at least a 4,000 part series.


Song #1 - "Calvary Scars II/Aux. Out" - Deerhunter

From their Weird Era Cont. record, this is 10 minutes of trippy. Not entirely unpleasant, but not really a lot to write about. I'll sort of "live-blog" this.

:57 - Heavy affected vocals sound nice.
2:23 - Picking up a little, there are now drums.
3:27 - Starting to lose interest
4:22 - Tempo change! I'm back in!
6:19 - Ok, this is losing me again.
7:45 - Breakdown to a slow, keyboards heavy section - sounds like Space Mountain music.
8:57 - Shouldn't a just-post-Saved By the Bell Mario Lopez be telling me to get ready for my trip already?
9:51 - Glad this is almost over.
10:04 - Weird sound effects close it out.

Song #2 - "Sweethearts" - Camper Van Beethoven

Just recently picked up Key Lime Pie for the first time in an used record store. I'm pretty happy with the record so far, but i find it a little stream-lined for my tastes. I prefer the more all-over-the-place nature of their indie records. I wish i had more to say about this song...

Song #3 - "Papa Gene's Blues" - The Monkees

I recently re-bought the first record i ever owned - The Best of the Monkees - and just about every single song is a winner. This one is a grade A country-rock jam courtesy of (i think) Mike Nesmith (i was right, i fact-checked myself). Less than 2 minutes, but just as long as it needs to be. People need to really re-evaluate the Monkees - yes, they were pre-fab and yes, they were mainly an excuse to sell commercial time on television, but they have 2 dozen or so killer songs, and that's more than i can say for most bands.

Song #4 - "Candyman" - The Grateful Dead

I bought this on eMusic simply to try and get to know what my buddy John knows that i don't about the Dead. This record has a handful of nice songs, this being one of them. The Dead might be the most overrated and underrated band of all time; underrated by everyone who dismisses them as hippie burn out shit, and overrated by hippie burn outs everywhere. This reminds me of Sweetheart of the Rodeo-era Byrds with worse harmonies and longer guitar solos. From American Beauty.

Song #5 - "Jump and Shout Vol. 1" - T.B. & the Germs

Not the Pat Smear/Darby Crash Germs, but an R&B band from the '60s. I've talked about this compilation, Jump and Shout, before on the blog - this isn't one of my favorites from the comp, mainly because this is a poor recording, but the energy is infectious and there isn't much else to say.

'Til next time,
Brian

PS - Congrats Texas on making the ALCS - beat them Bronx Bombers!

Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11

No comments:

Post a Comment